“Five Favorite” is a feature on thewasofshall where I lay out my five favorite “x”. Sometimes they’re relevant to a season or holiday, mostly they’re not. It’s an all-around fun excuse to give my 100% amazingly awesome opinion. To see previous topics, click here.
For me, the best speculative fiction asks just one “what if?” question and spirals off from there – everything in the novel that seems a bit off can be tied to that one break from our reality. Here are my five favorite.
- For the Win by Cory Doctorow → What if part of the world’s economy ran on virtual currency?
- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore → What if Jesus Christ had a best friend who didn’t make it into the bible?
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro → What if disease had been eradicated?
- The Passage by Justin Cronin → What if humans could contract vampirism virally?
- The Rebel by Jack Dann → What if James Dean hadn’t died in a car crash in 1955?
Have your own five favorite speculative fiction novels? Let me know!